For the past 7 years, September 11th has had a whole new meaning for me as I'm sure it has for the rest of our country. However, last year it also became the fateful day that we found out that we had lost our unborn child due to miscarriage. As I reflect on today, it is hard to believe how our life has changed. At that time, I would certainly not have believed that I would be pregnant again and about to deliver a baby boy in 2 months. Still, it does not take away the sadness I feel for a life lost. I have begun to describe the experience after miscarriage as "forgotten grief" as it does not seem to be viewed in the same magnitude as other losses. Though we were very public in our grief and received wonderful support, others suffer in silence. Generally, it seems to be viewed by society as something to be "gotten over" quickly and certainly to be resolved once you become pregnant again. That has not been my experience nor of other women I have spoken to. As a good friend told me, "It never really becomes less sad, you just try not to think about it as much."
The experience has definitely taken away some of my naivety and innocence about life but has also made me increasingly thankful for all that I am blessed with......
the rest of september!
11 years ago
1 comment:
I'm so sorry - I knew the date was nearing, but I couldn't remember exactly when it was. (I was a little preoccupied during that time.) I remember feeling so awkward when I first was around you with Noah after this happened - I was so nervous of how you would feel. I should have known better - we all love little ones - ours, theirs, those who've passed on. I'll say an extra prayer for you tonight and for the joy of Jude.
Post a Comment