Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Battle of Wills: (scores) Mommy 0, Abbey 1000

Most of you out there know of my ongoing potty struggles with my child for the past year. Abbey can color coordinate her outfits including bows and shoes, get dressed herself, and even change her own dirty pull-up, but tries to convince me daily that she can't (or rather won't) use the potty. We have tried treats, grab bags, potty charts, funny songs, books, stickers, princess underwear, praising, begging, pleading, "reverse psychology"....you get the picture. Actually, last time she had a potty chart, she casually went up to the fridge one day and threw it in the trash! I try to convince myself that its all "positive reinforcement" but let's be honest and call it what it is...pure bribery! I make no apologies as desperate times call for desperate measures.

From what I have read and through my friends' experiences, potty training is supposed to be a relatively simple and natural process, right? I usually look to my friend Kristen for all of the "secrets" of potty training but she assures me that her girls just started eagerly going on their own at age 2 and there are no mystical secrets out there for me. For now, I will go ahead and admit defeat and remind myself that this too shall pass (very soon I hope).....

No comments: