I've heard it said that mothering is a thankless job---no pay, no days off, and no thank-yous. Believe me....I've had days over the past 3 years when I have wondered about my worth as a stay-at-home mom as I played the roles of wife, mother, driver, maid, cook, and human jungle gym. Well, I had an "ah-ha" moment on yesterday while changing Jude's diaper (strange, I know). He had been fussy so I picked him up and assessed what I thought was wrong...was he hungry, gassy, wet, or just wanting to cuddle? I could tell from his cry that he wanted to be changed. As he was on the changing table, we locked eyes for a long moment and then he began cooing and smiling as if desperately trying to say "Thanks Mom....you knew just what I needed."
Shortly after that, I heard Abbey ask Nick her daily question of "Are we not going to school today?" and then Nick's normal response that it was in fact a school day followed by a little grumble from Abbey. He asked her why she did not want to go to school today and she said because it was fun to stay home with Mommy. Two thank yous in one day!....I realized that my kids are more thankful than I knew but I just don't always notice.....
the rest of september!
11 years ago
1 comment:
now that's a good day! you're a great mom and your kids know it... so sweet.
Post a Comment